Sunday, September 14, 2008

Black Betty (RIP)

I got in a car accident the other day.

One week in my new city, finally experiencing the inner city feel, and my truck gets T-boned by a super sized bus.

I miss that truck like you wouldn't believe, and not because it was once my grandpa's. Not because my dad loved it. I miss that truck because I attach myself to inanimate objects if I spend enough time around them. I loved my truck, I love my phone, I love my bed's blankets. I love them to the point of humanization. I know they aren't conscious, I know they don't have mindsets or attitudes or opinions or personalities; but at the same time, I know they do.

I guess everything is going to get better, even if it never gets better.

My fiance thinks Holden Caulfield was insane.
I think he was fine.
Who would Holden have married? Does it matter?

5 comments:

Jardley said...

Sometimes it's strange when you stumble upon others who are like you in a way. In a sense it takes the beauty out of yourself but showws we aren't completely alone.


When I was younger, and still very much so now but with other objects, I believed my barbies had feelings, it's true you know they aren't real in any way but it's as if you can't help it you know and believing that they feel makes them more real to you in a way. On days when I'm feeling severely lonely I wish it was easier to conjure up the belief that some object had feelings. I missed that part of myself.

Holden Caulfield said...

It does take a little of the beauty out of who we are, but I think it takes a lot of the fear away, too.

Like how failing a test isn't as bad when a couple other people did too.

Unknown said...

insane? no. fine? no. suffering from major depression? yes.

Anonymous said...

I wish Holden Caulfield was a real human being. I'm happy i read Catcher in the Rye, but sometimes I fear I will never meet someone as interesting, intriguing, and even attractive as Holden Caulfield appeared to be to me. WHY CAN'T BOOK CHARACTERS BE REAL? It makes me frustrated that humans fjirueyehwfj438r9. Nevermind. I don't even know what I'm talking about...I guess.

Anonymous said...

In other words...I would have married Holden Caulfield. Or I really do wish I would have.